March 10, 2013

Happy Birthday Antonietta


 Happy Birthday Antonietta!

Our friend Antonietta's birthday is coming. She is such caring, nice and thoughtful friend. I want to make a cake for her on her birthday which is March 13th. But Maggie said why don't we bring the cake on March 9th morning when we have the cake decoration class; we might not see her on March 13th.  That was on Thursday March 7th, which means I have to get this done by Saturday March 8th. So I have to rush for the cake.

I made some flowers couple days before. But the basket hasn't done yet. Also it takes time to dry.  Here is the demo of my basket.   
I use basket weave piping technic which we learned in Course 2.


When I finished basket and its handle, I need to glue them together. Since they were not dry yet, it won't hold its shape when I glue.  Maggie suggested a bright idea: use hair dyer.  Without thinking, I brought hair dyer started to dyer the fondant basket. Not even 1 minute, everything started melting. NOOO!

My fondant was made of marshmallow and icing sugar. Using hot air to blow, of course it melts. This was the lesson I learned from this project.

Finally, my cake is done. I am very happy the way it turned out. I am learning, I am glowing and I won't stop.  I told Victor when I started this decoration course: I want to give people the cake they feel guilty to cut and eat it. Again I want to thank my instructor Mandi. Without her inspiration, I couldn't do it.

BTW, I have to mention this: Maggie did all the writings on this cake. That was the most hard part of this project. Hahaha...


Life Is Good!
Life Is Sweet & Spicy! 

6 comments:

  1. You did an Amazing Job!!! Keep up the great Work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! To make a cake is not only a cuisine, but also an art!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sheila
    I can not say thank you enough for the beautiful cake you made me. I can now also say that the cake tasted as delicious as it looked. Waited over 2 weeks before eating the cake because it was too beautiful to cut. I sent you a piece via Maggie hope she didn't eat it all.
    Thank You
    Antonietta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome. Actually I had fun for doing this. Thank you for the opportunity. It was good practice.

      Delete